Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Letter to My Senator

I just watched Food, Inc. a couple of nights ago, and it GROSSED ME OUT!  I can't believe the garbage I eat!  I don't actually eat much processed food compared to most people, so I considered that I ate fairly well.  But when I think of the poor pig that gave me that disgustingly fatty bacon ($ .99 on sale!) I am sickened.  I know I can do better.

I've recently started to become aware of genetically modified (GM) foods (also known as genetically engineered or GE).  Considering the fact that 70-75% of processed food contains GM ingredients, you'd think that I would have been aware of it long before now.  However, companies in the U.S. are not required to label GM foods.  Watching Food, Inc. reminded me about why I'm starting to have a problem with that.

I had somewhat recently sent a form letter to my congressmen about labeling GM foods, and received a fairly dismissive response from one senator.  (And I think I actually threw it away in disgust!  Stupid me!)  So, tonight I sent another form letter (via the above link), but added my own words as the first paragraph.  What follows is my letter:

"In your previous response to my concerns about genetically modified foods, you stated that GM foods were considered safe, and there was already plenty of regulation; the food industry didn't need more. I feel that whether or not the government, or scientists, or anyone believes that GM foods are safe, I should have the RIGHT to make my own decision, when purchasing my family's food, about whether or not I want to buy GM foods. Labeling food with "Contains Genetically Modified Ingredients" would be no harder for a company to do than it is for them to label a food "Fat Free" or "Made with Whole Grains". The only reason I can imagine a company would oppose full disclosure would be if they feel like there is something to hide. If there is truly nothing wrong, and everything right, with GM foods, let them convince me (safety assessments by unbiased third parties would be helpful here). Once I am convinced, then I can FREELY CHOOSE to purchase those products IF THEY ARE LABELED.


"I am therefore writing to urge you to support and co-sponsor legislation to require the mandatory labeling and safety testing of genetically engineered foods. The Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act would require labels on gene altered food, and the Genetically Engineered Food Safety Act would call for federal standards for safety assessments of these experimental foods now in our stores. It is shocking that the FDA has never developed binding federal rules to protect consumers from the food safety risks of genetically engineered foods. Unlike crops from traditional breeding, genetically engineered crops contain antibiotic-resistant marker genes, viral promoters and foreign proteins never before consumed by humans. Yet the FDA relies on the very companies that have a financial interest in bringing these biotech crops to market to assess their safety. FDA has stated, "Ultimately, it is the food producer who is responsible for assuring safety" of gene altered foods. Congress must step up and fill the gaping regulatory hole left by the FDA to protect American consumers. The Genetically Engineered Food Safety Act would fill this hole by requiring mandatory pre-market safety testing for all GE foods. The Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act would require mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods. Here in America, we pride ourselves on having choices and making informed decisions. Under current FDA regulations we don't have that choice when it comes to GE ingredients in the foods we purchase and feed our families. Labeling is essential for me to choose whether or not I want to consume genetically engineered foods. Genetically engineered foods are required to be labeled in the 15 European Union nations, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, and many other countries around the world. As an American, I firmly believe I should also have the right to know if my foods have been genetically engineered. If food makers like Kraft and Kellogg's can label the products they sell in these countries, they can certainly do it in the U.S. A recent poll released by ABC News found that 92 percent of the American public wants the federal government to require mandatory labeling on genetically engineered foods. As ABC News stated, "Such near-unanimity in public opinion is rare." I hope you will listen to me and the other 92 percent of the American public who want mandatory labeling and show your support for American consumers by supporting and co-sponsoring the Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act. I look forward to a written response confirming your support. Thank you!"

Will I change my mind about GM foods if they are shown to be safe?  Probably not.  I prefer my food to have the genes God intended it to have.  Food has been tampered with way too much as it is.  Besides, I don't think people should be able to patent raw foods and seeds.  It gives them too much power.  Do I expect my Senator to change his position?  Not really.  This particular Senator (in the last couple of years of me actually finally paying attention to politics) has a pretty bad track record as far as voting the way that I consider to be the "right way."  So, I may not change his mind, but at least I can share my view.  I want to be able to make a difference in a lot of ways, but since my life is not currently conducive to my being super politically involved my hope is that there will be enough people like me just doing their little part, that it will end up making the big difference I hope for.  So for now, I'll sign petitions, send form letters, occasionally write my own letters or make phone calls, talk to people who are open to listening, educate myself, and teach my children.  And I'll post on my blog in the hopes it helps someone else on their journey of learning and making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment