Friday, May 14, 2010

I guess I'm not the only one...

...who thought my Senator has done some super dumb voting.  I think it is interesting how he seems to think that he was ousted just because the people were "mad at Washington."  (How arrogant!  We couldn't possibly have been making an educated decision?)  I am frustrated with Washington in general, however I am also frustrated with this particular Senator (both of my senators, actually).  I wouldn't vote against my current Representative because I have been pleased with his voting most of the time.

I may not understand everything, and I may not be completely informed about every current event.  I even have quite a few areas where I don't feel as though I have enough information to form an opinion.  But I have been trying to study economics and government (and nutrition and education and...) for the last few years (in my spare time or in the late hours of the night).  I have been trying to read a variety of both classic and modern writers and even some writings I disagreed with (i.e. The Communist Manifesto, which I found to be very interesting, by the way.)  So, although I don't understand every issue, I feel like I am well enough informed about various principles that I can understand generally where we should be heading and what kinds of laws get us there, and what kinds of laws move us in the other direction.

That is why I am glad to have this Senator out.  He has not been voting in a way that I believe will lead our country in a good direction.  He may be a very nice guy in his private life.  He may even be nice in his public life.  But he is not good for our country.  Way to go, Utah!  Hopefully we make a good decision in our next pick.  In my *very limited* study of the Republican candidates so far, I think I like Mike Lee.  He sounds like he is very familiar and friendly with the Constitution.  I haven't taken the time to study the candidates from the other parties yet.

Obviously I am a Utah Republican, right?  Well, sort of.  My parents were registered as Republicans and so I did the same when I was old enough to register.  I am still registered as a Republican, but mostly so I can have a say in the Primaries (since in Utah, the Republican candidate will win).  Yes, I am a Mormon.  NO WAY did I vote for Mitt Romney.  I actually voted for Ron Paul in the Primaries and then the Constitution Party candidate in the General Election.  I have even actually been known to vote for a Democrat in my time (I'm happy to vote on the person who I feel is best for the job rather than just straight any party.).   I like what Joel Salatin calls himself in his book Holy Cows and Hog Heaven: the food buyers guide to farm friendly food.  He calls himself a Christian libertarian environmentalist capitalist.  I would add Constitutionalist  to my title and would feel like that sums it up nicely.

END POLITICAL RANT.  DIM LIGHTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment